English settlers occupied Perquimans County shortly after North Carolina became a colony in 1663. The first owner of the property, Joseph Scott, may have come to North Carolina in the first wave of European settlement after the issuance of the 1663 Carolina proprietary charter. Of his origins nothing is known, but it is likely he was of English descent. He acquired land on the Perquimans River, apparently patenting 640 acres south of the river in 1663. Abraham Sanders purchased the property in 1726, then known as The Vineyard. He built a brick house in 1730 on the Perquimans River that still stands today. The Sanders riverside plantation was a diverse agricultural operation that included corn, cotton, wheat, flax, indigo, tobacco, and rice. Sanders also produced wood products such as barrels and shingles or shakes for roofs. His Quaker beliefs limited involvement in politics, but he was active in matters of the Perquimans Meeting of the Society of Friends.
Periauger’s home is the Newbold-White House off of Harvey Point Road in Hertford. During the summer months, however, it is often docked at the town dock in Hertford. Signs at both locations tell where the vessel is located. Sometimes, Periauger takes field trips to nautical or historical events of interest.
The Periauger Project mission, in part, is to spread interest in and education about early 18th century maritime life in North Carolina. This web site, and its companion CD, are products of the Perquimans County Restoration Association and its many volunteers. Though the material is owned by the PCRA, it is offered free of charge to educational professionals and students. It may be copied and distributed provided it is not altered and no charge is made.
You can visit the Newbold-White House website here.